LAST UPDATED: January 21, 2016
1 What is Personal Information.
The phrases “personally identifiable information” or “personal information” in this policy refers to information or a combination of information that you provide to us through the Internet or by other means that can be used to uniquely identify you. Examples of personal information include your name, postal address (including billing and shipping addresses), telephone number, email address, credit or debit card number or other payment information.
2 How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- You Provide it through the Site and Services: We may collect personal information when you provide it through the Site or Services, e.g., when you register or apply for membership or for a course or program or when you post information on any of our message boards or other interactive services.
- We Obtain it via technology as you use the Site and Services: We may collect various information about you using computer technology as you access and use the Site and Services, including browser and device information, and information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies. You may set your browser to not accept cookies, or to warn you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. If you choose not to accept cookies, however, your ability to navigate the site may be hindered.
- Offline: We may collect personal information from you offline, such as when you place an order over the phone or contact customer or membership service.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your personal information from other sources, such as public databases; joint marketing partners; social media platforms; from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, as well as from other third parties.
3 How We May Use Personal Information
Whether or not you are a registered member or user of our Site and Services, we and our service providers (including Educators who facilitate and run our courses and programs) may use personal information that we have obtained about you as follows:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters, updates, course materials, catalogs and e-mails.
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To complete and fulfill your purchase, for example, to process your payments, have your order delivered to you, communicate with you regarding your purchase or membership and provide you with related customer service.
- To send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you (including marketing information from our third party partners and service providers).
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in promotions and to administer these activities.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality and interaction among Members and with Educators.
- To allow you to send messages to a friend or colleague through the Services. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s or colleague’s name and email address.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities. If we sell our company or our assets and business to a third party, we may transfer all our data, including all of your personal information to such third party buyer.
4 Additional Uses and Disclosures We Make of Membership Information
By registering to become a Member of IAA (or any other category of user that requires registration), in addition to all other uses of personal information described in this policy, you expressly consent to IAA sharing your personal information with third parties including our agents, partners, Members and Educators. You also consent to IAA contacting you with information we feel may be of interest to you. If you do not wish for IAA to share your information, please do not register to be an IAA member. Additionally, if you are a Member, we may share your contact information with the other Members to encourage networking. We also may distribute Members contact information lists at IAA conferences and other IAA-related shows. By registering for a course or program, you expressly consent to us giving your personal information to the Educator and/or other participants in the course or program as necessary to facilitate your participation in the course or program. By becoming a Member, you expressly consent to this information distribution and may not opt-out of this sharing.
5 Aggregated Information
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary anywhere else in this policy or in our User Terms, we reserve the right to use your personal information in any manner and for any purpose so long as we remove portions of the information that could be used to identify you as the source of that information and/or aggregate it with information of a substantial amount of other users such that no user could be individually identified by a user of such information.
6 When We May Disclose Information for Legal Reasons
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary anywhere else in this policy or in our User Terms, we may disclose personal information received from any source as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
7 You Can Access Your Information or Make Corrections to Errors Or Changes in this Information
If you wish to have access to information about you in our records, please contact us with your request at the mailing address or e-mail address at email@example.com. You may also request that we update information about you, or request correction of any factual errors that you believe may exist regarding this information. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to accommodate such requests.
8 Risks of Social Media Functionality
From time to time, we might offer chat rooms or posting boards or other social media or interactive functionality associated with courses, programs or networking. Keep in mind that if you choose to post information in any chat rooms, forum, discussion group, or on any posting boards or other interactive forum, you may be revealing your personal information to the public. If you do not wish for your personal information to be disclosed to the public, you should not include any personal information in your postings, or you should refrain from using the chat rooms or posting boards. By using IAA chat rooms or posting boards, course forums and other interactive functions of the Services, you acknowledge that IAA has no control over what third parties may do with any personal information that you post.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 Privacy Practices of Third Party Sites; Advertisers, Vendors and Others
The site may contain advertisements and links to other sites. IAA is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any advertisers or linked sites or for the privacy policies or practices of any other third parties. To the extent that you disclose information to any advertisers, linked sites or other third parties, different rules may apply to their use or disclosure of information you disclose to them, and we encourage you to review their privacy policies before disclosing information to them.
The Site and Services are not directed toward children under eighteen years old, and IAA does not knowingly collect or use information from children under the age of eighteen through the Site or Services without first obtaining parental permission.
12 Retention Period
We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
13 Cross-Border Transfer
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
14 Sensitive Information
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.